March to Athens
Day 126-LII, Bari
Day 127-LIII, Bari
Bari, March 13
We have reached the sea, but we still haven’t decided which Greek port we want to sail to. It was the first point on yesterday’s internal assembly. Patras or Igoumenitsa.
One thing that we did decide upon was that we don’t want to split up the march. After that we took a vote to get a general idea of people’s preferences.
It was deadlocked ten to ten. And the interesting thing was that our group was rigourously divided along national lines. All the French but one voted for Igoumenitsa. And except for three abstentions, all the Spanish but one voted for Patras. The Italians were divided, and one of them honoured local custom by switching sides.
As you all know, I myself am very much in favour of Igoumenitsa.
Here in Bari we have also been joined by an American blogger from Occupy San Diego. He abstained, but in the end he made a very simple observation.
“I think the solution is already in the name. March to Athens. If there weren’t a sea to cross, we would have kept on marching. The boat trip should serve to cross the sea, not to shortcut the march.”
To unblock the situation, the moderator asked people if anyone had radical objections against one of the two ports. Three of us were ready to block Patras, but in order to avoid conflict no-one did.
If the assembly would have decided to go to Patras, I wouldn’t have blocked it either. I would probably have left the march instead.
The assembly decided to send a large transversal delegation to the navigation companies.
At the port terminal, neither of the two companies made any trouble with regard to our shopping carts, but if we went to Patras, the dogs would need to have some kind of passport.
The dogs are with us since we crossed the Apeninnes. They are shepherd dogs decided, and they probably considered us to be a herd that needed to be guided. For some, this implied a form of ‘verticality’, and they denounced it. But one of the few principles of our movement is that we are inclusive, so everyone can come along.
The Greek company serving Igoumenitsa would close an eye on it. And apart from that, Patras is twice as expensive.
So that more or less sealed it. The dogs broke the deadlock, but at the moment the assembly still has to confirm the final decision.
Latest news, this right in. It’s just passed one o’clock. The assembly has confirmed. We are going to Igoumenitsa. We will depart tomorrow evening at seven. We will arrive thursday morning March 15 in Greece at seven o’clock in the morning.